Friday, February 18, 2011

eve

so i think i've finally found a game that i play often enough that i will say that it could be addicting, if there wasn't so much waiting involved in playing the game. i mean... look at how many jumps it will take to make a round trip in picking up an item i just bought, a ship i need, and then getting it all back to where i need it. i mean, i guess sure, this is to help keep the realism of the distance i'm traveling (several hundred thousand AU's per jump) but come on.. it IS a game. those 18 jumps will probably take me about half an hour to complete.

and don't even get me started on the time i have to wait to get a skill trained up to a respectable level. (if not several days than at least most of a day). i've heard players some players say that if i trained nothing but the bare minimum skills needed, it can take up to a year to be allowed to sit on a super carrier. and when i say minimum i mean minimum. sitting in the ship doesn't mean that i know how to make it fly very fast at all, or even fire it's weapons. that could be another half year to get to that point.

all that being said, it really is an awesome game. the learning curve never seems to settle. if anything it just get higher. the more i think i know the more amazed i am when someone introduces something completely new to me. an aspect i had no idea existed. just a couple weeks ago someone introduced to me the art of exploring. sending probes out and finding things that arn't exactly on the map. things like wormholes. or pirate hideouts, or rouge AI drones. the list goes on.



i think this is a surprisingly accurate graph on how the learning curve works compared to most of the other big massive multi-player online (MMO) games. i know it says gaming skill but just imagine it says 'amount learned'.


that part where it actually has you go back in time after that huge increase in knowledge is the part where you suddenly discover something huge, so you go and delete your character because you realize you've screwed him up so badly you might as well start over. i think i'm getting close to doing that with my character right now.. and he's been almost constantly training for nearly 3 months. my fear, and hope, is that i'm about where those spears are where it just begins to slightly curve up. which means i'm about to learn all this stuff about the game that will hopefully help me play alot smarter and less expensively. maybe will help me get killed a little less even! i can only hope.

another good example of how complicated this game can be is that it has built into the game a market tool that measures 4 different averages of the prices of each item in the game.


i'm not going to go into the details of how that thing works cause i've been using it for months and i still don't understand it. oh and the 10.00M, 20.00M, etc that you see on the left side of the graph stands for 10 million, 20 million, etc respectively. expensive? for a new player, yes. and by new i mean someone like me who has been playing less than about 6 months i guess. but i've heard other players talk about buying "cheap" ships like this one like it was pocket change. right now i feel rich having just 10 million in my wallet.

so yah, EVE-online. great game. you have to pay monthly until you can start earning enough in-game money to buy your next month of play time with ISK. (current cost is a little more than 300 million, i believe)

46 comments:

  1. That's intense. Maybe I'll give it a try after I get to a good stopping point in WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to play this game for a while...looks fun, but a very different learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @chris
    trust me, it's so much fun and worth it. if/when you do get into it i highly recommend listening to Eve-Radio in the background and staying in that chat channel most of the time. it can really teach you a lot

    ReplyDelete
  4. mhh...maybee i'm going to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not even gonna lie...Eve is the best i have played, and ive played more than a few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^ what is your user name? having just started i'm still trying to learn how to make money easily. what do you do to earn millions in just a few minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of eve but i hate the leveling professions system , it goes up in offline mode sux

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've played eve off and on for the last 6 years or so. i can never really stick with it though and normally get bored after a month

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, I've seen a chart like that before. But Dwarf Fortress was the black line :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've spent so much time playing EVE. Don't know if I go back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ive always wanted to play eve but i dont really want to get back into another mmo lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was never really into mmos, because the last time i played i got addicted for months.
    I MIGHT have to try this out, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah that learning curve graphic is true. I tried eve for some time but I did the hassle of learning Anarchy-Online (wich is only a tad less complicated) and decided I didn't wanna go trough that whole ride again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. if eve is free id play it :P
    i cant devote time to an mmorpg though. id rather just pay upfront for a game and have it forever

    ReplyDelete
  15. ^ you can do the 14 day free trial to wet your appetite and decide on it. like i said in the blog, once you get to a certain point you just buy your next month of game time with in-game money

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wish i had the time to play an MMO, what i'd give to go back to high school and play WoW 8 hours a day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa, this game looks awesome! I used to be a professional WoW player/writer but I gave it up because I don't have the time. I played WoW for like 18 hours a day for 5 years. :( Sadly, those times are behind me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't wanna try them since I'm affraid of gettign addicted!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks sick. but i heard the leveling takes to damn long, looks like refined starship troopers

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to love EVE - great post - following and supporting

    ReplyDelete
  21. the game looks hard, but I don't have enough patience/time to play it.
    The learning curve is great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. well i only play wow so can't tell if the other games are better

    ReplyDelete
  23. Played wow, and this, and the best part about EVE is that you can JUST play an hour a day and have fun. In wow it takes 5 hours a day for a week (if you know the game) to reach max level, then you have to spend another 3000 hours getting items, then the next xpac comes out...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that game looks complicated. Might need to try it out though as am a bit intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i tried out eve, didn't like the real time based skilling

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, looks pretty cool, now following.

    ReplyDelete
  27. ive actually never heard of this... checking it out

    ReplyDelete
  28. i need a new game to play. i might just check it out

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks like a really cool game. I like MMORPGs, spaced based games, and strategy games. Looks like it's all three packed into one.

    I'm gonna follow your blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Eve just looks way too daunting. I know it'll be a blast though.

    ReplyDelete
  31. With a learning curve like that, I'm too afraid to try it. Well maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've tried EVE, but yeah the learning curve and time required to play kinda turned me away.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Man, my old boss used to play all the time while we were at work. Now he's some big cheese at corporate >.> I never really got into it, I barly have any time :/

    ReplyDelete
  34. EVE is one of the most in-depth MMORPG's out there. The massive scaling of it is also impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  35. i have tried playing eve many times, i just cant get into it

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, that's kind of intense. With that steep of a learning curve, you'd think that they'd do something to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've always wanted to get into EVE Online, how's the gameplay like?

    ReplyDelete
  38. @randomlyMused
    the gameplay is the way you make it. there are several different roles that you can play. you can be an explorer and use the probes to hunt down wormholes and lost caches of rescources. you could be a miner/manufacturer and be a main source of ships, weapons, and ammo for the eve-universe. or you can play the mission (or quests if you are more familiar with the traditional mmo terms) and quickly build rep with the corporations ingame. last of all you can be a pirate or a bounty hunter and attack players that you deem worth killing. oh and yes, there are players with bounties on them. mostly pirates. so yah, it can be very fast or very slow paced

    ReplyDelete
  39. WoW is addicting enough for me. If I played Eve I don't think I'd every actually have any free time. Nice post though.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Damn this makes me want to play eve again!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've heard that Eve is even more addictive and time-wasting than other mmorpgs like WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  42. not really. not in my opinion. in fact because that you can easily walk away from it half way through a payed month and still be making progress in the game, it takes away the whole, "every second i'm not playing i'm throwing money down the drain" feeling

    ReplyDelete